What are Servers and Server types
Definition: – Server is a Software application which runs in computer and is used to accept clients request and is used to give responses according to the client request. Servers are used in any type of computers including PCs or Public computers.
A Server is a term used in the field of Information technology (IT) and it is a program running on a computer which is used to share information with one or more client.
Types of Servers:
- File Servers: – It is used to store files and information in a computer system, using this server any user is able to store information.
- Catalog Server: – It is used to collect information across a network service.
- Communication Servers: – It is used in communication networks.
- Fax servers: – Fax server as the name indicates provides fax services for the users.
- Print Servers: – These are used to manage two or more print systems
- Network Servers: – This is a special server which is used to control any increased flow of traffic to the network.
- Database Servers: – It is a special computer which is used to look after various databases.
- Game servers: – Most of the online games are played by the use of a special server called Game server.
- Home Servers: – Home server includes
- Computer servers: – They are mainly used for advanced computations.
- Mail Servers: – They are used to access emails of the clients or users.
- Mobile servers
- Sound Servers: – It is used for online streaming of videos and used for multimedia broadcasting.
The main use of Server is that they perform only duties which are assigned to them. They don’t do other activities which are not assigned to them.
Terms of Server Commonly Used:
Web server: – It is a server which is used to find the web pages, it consists of two components
- IP Address
- Domain Name
Many software’s are available in the market which can be used as web servers. This software can be installed in any of the computer devices. Examples include Apache, Microsoft web server software, and Netscape Webserver software.
1. Proxy server
Proxy server transfers information from the client to the original server. They may not carry any other function. They, in turn, transfer the data from the request of the users to the original server.
The advantage of Proxy servers are
- It helps to improve the performance of the computer and reduces the time to process all the user requests.
- They are also used to filter unwanted request by the users in any computer.
2. Application Server: – It is used to manage all applications of the users.
3. Cloud Server: – It is used on the internet where the customers are provided with various hosting services.
4. Dedicated server: – These are used in network services and is a computer which is used to satisfy the need of the network. They are also used in managing printing requests.
5. Server Operating System:
- Server operating system should be different from that of the desktop operating system because servers provide an only limited range of uses or services when compared to the other desktop services.
- Some of the operating system used in servers are LINUX, Windows, Mac, X86 hardware
- These Server operating systems also detect changes like overheating, any operational failure and will alert the user so that they could take any immediate action to overcome the situation.
Important Characteristics of the Server:
- Backup facilities: – They should be able to provide advanced backup facilities to back up online information
- Flexible networking: – They should provide flexible networking options
- Advanced networking: – Servers should be capable of advanced networking.
- Reconfiguration and updating of Hardware
- Reconfiguration and updating of software.
- Security of the system
Servers form the structure of the entire internet system. The model used on the Internet worldwide is client-server mode. Servers play an important role in the functioning of the internet and millions of servers join to form the internet model. Some of the areas where server forms dominant role is
- Online Streaming of Videos and audios
- Online chats and instant message transfers
- Online games streaming
- Online audio communications.
In this era of telecommunications, server plays an important role in helping us in our communication of the web and our data
The various server classes are classified according to the size of servers
- Rack servers: – The Server is inside a rack which contains many bays where hardware is mounted with the help of screws and they uses less space.
- Miniature servers
- Mini rack servers
- Mobile servers
- Tower server: – It is a server built in an upright cabinet which stands out like a tower.
Advantages of tower servers
- Because of low density, it can be easily cooled.
- Many servers can be added
- Bulky and heavy: – When compared to rack type of servers it is bulkier and heavier.
- Complicated: – Because many servers can be connected to a network it is little bit complicated
- Noise: – Due to the presence of many air cooling fans, it will be quite noisy.
Blade server: – It is also designed to be mounted like the rack server
Ultra dense server: – It combines the technology of blade type of server and SAN.
- It is used for reducing the hardware costs
- It is also used in saving the power
- It is also called as service dispatcher
- It mostly runs in systems like UNIX.
- Super servers are used mainly in areas like web development, client-web development, and low traffic conditions.
- When compared to other servers there will be a delay in processing.