What is Operating System (OS)
The An operating system (OS) is a software program that controls all the software and hardware resources on the computer system. In simple terms, the hardware operates the special programs that control all the hardware resources in computer systems and manages by the program of the operating system.
The operating system controls various functions like random access memory, controlling the monitor display, network interface, executing and controlling the commands, manages the keyboard and mouse functions. It uses password security system so the authorized users only access the computer applications.
The most important function of the operating system is to keep track and manage of every program in computer systems. For example, when we start our computer system, the antivirus program is executed by the operating system to protect from computer virus. So the first priority is given to Antivirus program by the OS program.
Types of Operating Systems
The most important and popular types of operating systems are as follows.
Ms-Dos (Microsoft Disk Operating System)
This Operating system is based on command line interfaces, the user operates the system by typing the command line. Dos enables the user to manage, execute files and controls the input and output devices of system. From windows OS, you can try below commands at the command prompt. Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command prompt, or search CMD for command prompt.
Windows Operating Systems
The windows operating system (OS) is one of the most important OS around the world. The development of windows OS has evolved over several decades. Let discuss briefly about history of windows.
- The first development of the operating system by Microsoft was MS-DOS 1.0 and it was most popular from 1981-1999.
- In 1999, the version of Windows 2000 was released and it is a graphical user interface based operating system.
- DOS was the most popular operating system in all versions of windows i.e Windows 1.0, Windows ME, Windows 95 and Windows 98.
- On 2001, the new version of windows XP was released and it becoming the most popular best selling product.
- Windows Vista operating systems was released in 2006 with the compatibility of security options.
- Windows 7 was released in late 200’s and it is one most popular OS being used in laptops and desktops.
- The present new and popular version of Windows operating system is windows 8.
Linux Operating sytem
Linux OS is used to perform the network operations, with the linux we can configure local area connections, internet connections, network security tasks, create routers, and manages various networks.
Mac operating Systems
Mac operating system is used for the personal computer that was manufacturing by the company named called Apple. MAC is a GUI and was developed by apple computers. In 1996, steve jobs, steve Wozniak and Ronald wayne formed Apple. The first Apple computer product was Apple 1 developed by Steve Wozniak.
So Operating system is an important software program that controls and executes various functions in computer systems.
Now you are come to What is Operating System (OS) and types of OS are available.